Frequent Rough Terrain Forklift Accidents
Rough Terrain Forklifts (RTF) are designed to handle heavy loads on challenging terrain. Thorough and proper training is required for any RTF operator before they set foot onto this heavy-duty truck.
Most RTF accidents that occur are due to operator error. The top 3 most frequent RTF accidents are:
- Tip over
And what causes the accidents?
- Dips, holes, and trenches
- Narrow aisles
- Ground and overhead obstructions
Anytime a licensed operator is preparing to saddle up onto the rough terrain forklift for that day, it’s a great idea to take the time to take a few pre-operation precautions to bring attention to potential terrain hazards as well as to check the truck itself for anything that may pose a hazards during operation.
Here are some quick steps managers can share with operators before they turn on the ignition:
- Improve visibility: this can include cleaning vehicle windows and viewpoints as well as addressing safety glasses or, even the need for more thorough measures, operator vision assessments.
- Inspect the forklift before driving it.
- Analyzing terrain before driving on it. This heavy-duty truck is powerful and meant to be on alternate types of ground, but that doesn’t mean it can handle Know what you’re about to embark upon and where potential hazards may lie before putting the forklift into motion.
- Know the RTF load weight limit and how this limit may be impacted by the forklift’s terrain location and position – load limit on a slope may differ that flatter ground and have a serious impact on balance of the vehicle.
Source for this post: EHS Daily Advisor
For more on reporting and accident to OSHA click here.
If you need help to avoid these accidents check out our safety consulting page here, or our free resources page with monthly and weekly safety talks here.
Since 2009 we have provided expert safety consulting, inspection, staffing, and training services. We currently service over 100 cities teaching the EPA RRP Lead Renovator Certification Training. If you can work around our schedule we can typically deliver our services for near or the same price you would pay right here in Cincinnati, OH. Our mission is to reduce workplace accidents and injuries. We believe that these free safety meetings help us achieve that goal. The best compliment you could give us is to forward these along to another company.
We are here to help! Please feel free to reach out by dialing 877-209-9648 or email email@example.com.
How can proActive Safety Services help us achieve our safety goals?
We have experience assisting companies with less than 5 employees to working with giant corporate companies like DHL. We have found that every situation is a little bit different. We offer a free safety assessment that can help us determine the gaps in your current program. From that assessment we are able to work together to develop a strategy to meet your goals. We have a team of 10 safety professionals and access to a network of over 5 senior safety directors within our community.
Does proActive Safety Services Offer Private Training Courses?
We specialize in delivering private training courses. In fact, we have sold more custom training courses that OSHA Outreach Training courses. Complete custom classes can get pretty expensive. However, it is easy to add in photos of your facilities, videos you may currently use, or any other custom content you feel is necessary. The best way to develop a custom course is to create Job Safety Analysis for each job type. It is simple for us at that point to develop a training program that covers the hazard your employees will face.